"He is absolutely LOVING every minute of these classes! I cannot tell you how long it’s taken for us to find something he really enjoys and gets exercise doing! We are so incredibly thankful."
"Zeta Fencing has had a very positive influence on my 13-year-old daughter; she has gained confidence, poise and strength from her experience with fencing at Zeta. What we love: There are no participation awards. The coaching staff are supportive and targeted in their approach, they push her to be the best she can be, while still making it fun. All her successes are earned by hard work and diligence."
"Our experience with Zeta has been great. My son really enjoys the structure and mutual respect that is created, the great coaches, and the friendships he has formed. And during Covid, we have been especially appreciative of the safety measures implemented and flexible approach the organization created; it was been a really nice outlet and opportunity to stay active while still building skills."
... Where Beginners Learn the Fundamentals of Sabre Fencing
Our beginner classes introduce new fencers to the Olympic sport of fencing. We believe that a fencer's first steps on the fencing strip are the most important ones they will ever take in the sport. That's why our beginner classes apply the unique approach of introducing fencing to children that was developed by Olympic coach and fencing master Zoran Tulum. His unique teaching methods have produced national champions, NCAA champions, world champions, and Olympians. Zeta Fencing's approach to teaching is based on the following principles:
- Age-appropriate teaching: We offer separate classes for different age groups since our coaches adapt their teaching style to the age and maturity of their students and keep children engaged and challenged at all times. Regardless of the age group, all classes are taught with “real,” Olympic-style fencing weapons and uniforms.
- Small groups: All classes are limited in size. That’s how we guarantee the individual attention every student needs in order to master the complex sport of fencing.
- 90-minute classes: Our classes last 90 minutes because new fencers have to develop various, very different skill sets. We take the time to work on agility and fitness, footwork, bladework, and bouting strategies in every class to develop competent, healthy fencers.
- Sportsmanship and Olympic values: Beyond athletic skills, our classes encompass the traditions and values of the Olympic sport of fencing. Our fencers practice true sportsmanship and become supportive teammates. We teach our students the history as well as the art of fencing because we believe that both are crucial elements of our sport.
- Minimum age of 8 years: Fencing is a challenging sport with rules that can be hard to understand and moves that can be difficult to execute for young children. Because our beginner classes prepare students for competitive fencing, we recommend to let children under the age of 8 develop their motor skills with age-appropriate workouts and join our program when they are ready.
This class offers an introduction to sabre fencing for beginners. Students master the fundamental skills of fencing. While fencers learn about all three disciplines of fencing (épée, foil, sabre), they will focus on sabre. Each session consists of seven weekly classes; new students are welcome to join at the beginning of each new session. Students stay in this class for several sessions until our coaches are sure that they are ready to move on to the intermediate level.
Students borrow a complete set of personal fencing equipment for the duration of each session in exchange for a fully refundable security deposit. For safety reasons students are required to wear clean fencing shoes, long loose-fitting sweat pants and a T-shirt during class. Please read our full guidelines here.
The class is offered for two different age groups: Y10 (ages 8-11) and Y12 (ages 12 & up).
Y10: Monday 5:00-6:30 pm or Saturday 11:00 am-12:30 pm (pick one day)
Y12+: Saturday 1:00-2:30 pm
Class Schedule & Fees
New fencers may join at the beginning of each session.
Class sessions for the 2020-2021 season:
- SESSION 1: Tuesday, September 8 – Monday, October 26, 2020
- SESSION 2: Tuesday, October 27 – Monday, December 21, 2020 (no classes during Thanksgiving break: Monday, November 24 – Sunday, November 30)
- SESSION 3: Monday, January 4 – Saturday, February 27, 2021 (no classes during school break Monday, February 15 – Sunday, February 21, 2021)
- SESSION 4: Monday, March 1 – Saturday, April 17, 2021 (no classes during school break Monday, April 19 – Sunday, April 25, 2021)
- SESSION 5: Monday, April 26 – Monday, June 14, 2021 (no classes on Memorial Day, May 31, 2021)
You can download the class schedule for the 2020-2021 season here (PDF).
Each 7-week in-person group class session costs $280.
We offer a family discount for all our classes. The first family member pays the full price, every additional family member receives a 25% discount on class fees. If family members are participating in programs with different fees, the higher-priced program has to be paid in full. The family discount is applied to the lower-priced program.
In order to register, please provide:
- Completed registration form: Please use the Registration Button below.
- Proof of USA Fencing membership: Our insurance requires that all students become members of USA Fencing. A non-competitive membership costs $10 per year. Find more information and detailed instructions here.
- Payment: Please choose your payment option on the online Registration Form.
We ask all fencers and parents to read and acknowledge Zeta Fencing's Code of Conduct. By signing a registration form, you agree to its terms.
Class spaces are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis after a complete registration with full payment and proof of USA Fencing membership has been received.
There are no refunds after the first class meeting; however, partial credits may be issued toward future programs. If you have to request a refund before the first class meeting, PayPal's processing fees will be automatically deducted from the total amount of your payment refund. The amount you receive will be reduced by the processing fee determined by PayPal.