"Zeta Fencing has had a very positive influence on my 13-year-old daughter; she has gained confidence, poise and strength from her experience with fencing at Zeta. What we love: There are no participation awards. The coaching staff are supportive and targeted in their approach, they push her to be the best she can be, while still making it fun. All her successes are earned by hard work and diligence."
"Our experience with Zeta has been great. My son really enjoys the structure and mutual respect that is created, the great coaches, and the friendships he has formed."
... Where Beginners Learn the Fundamentals of Sabre Fencing
Our beginner classes introduce new fencers to the Olympic sport of fencing. A fencer's first steps on the fencing strip are the most important ones they will ever take in the sport. Our unique teaching methods have produced national champions, NCAA champions, world champions, and Olympians. Zeta Fencing's approach to teaching follows these principles:
- Age-appropriate teaching: We offer three separate classes for different youth age groups. Our coaches adapt their teaching methods to the age and maturity of their students to keep them engaged and challenged appropriately at all times. Regardless of the age group, all classes are taught with “real,” Olympic-style fencing weapons and uniforms.
- Small groups: We limit all class sizes to 12 students to ensure that each student receives the individual attention required to learn the sport.
- 90-minute classes: Our classes last 90 minutes because new fencers have to develop various, very different skill sets. We take the time to work on agility and fitness, footwork, bladework, and bouting strategies in every class to develop competent, healthy fencers. In the setting of the group classes, coaches also work with students individually on bladework and footwork.
- Sportsmanship and Olympic values: Beyond athletic skills, our classes instill the traditions and values of the Olympic sport of fencing. Our fencers practice true sportsmanship and become supportive teammates. We teach our students the history as well as the art of fencing because both are crucial elements of our sport.
- Starting at age 8: Fencing is a challenging sport with rules that can be hard to understand and moves that can be difficult to execute for young children. We recommend that children under the age of 8 develop their motor skills with age-appropriate workouts and join our program when they turn 8. We will consider 7-year-olds on an individual basis. Please contact us with more information before submitting a registration for a student under age 8.
This class introduces beginners to sabre fencing. While students learn the fundamental skills of fencing involved in all three disciplines of fencing (épée, foil, sabre), they focus on sabre. Each seven-week-long session consists of weekly classes which last 90 minutes. Classes start with warm-up games and stretching, followed by footwork and bladework explanations and drills, and conclude with fencing in full fencing gear. New students are welcome to join at the beginning of each new session. Students stay in this class for several sessions until our coaches are sure that they are ready to move to the intermediate level.
Students receive a complete set of personal fencing equipment for the duration of each session by paying a fully refundable equipment deposit. For safety reasons, students are required to wear clean indoor sneakers, long loose-fitting sweat pants and a T-shirt during class. Please read our full dress guidelines here.
The class is offered for three different age groups: Youth 1 (born 2013-2016), Youth 2 (born 2011-2014), and Youth 3 (born 2008-2012). Fencers born in 2007 and older should join the Adult Beginner Class.
Class Times and Fees
Youth 1 (YOB 2013-2016): Monday 4:30 - 6pm
Youth 2 (YOB 2011-2014): Saturday 1-2:30pm
Youth 3 (YOB 2008-2012): Wednesday 4:30-6pm
Class Fee per 7 - week session: $350
Equipment Deposit: $300 (cash or check only, fully refundable)
Class Fee for second family member for a 7 - week session: $280
Discount: The first family member pays the full price; every additional family member receives second family member rate. If family members participate in programs with different fees, the higher-priced program has to be paid in full. The family member enrolled in the lower-priced program is eligible for the lower priced fee.
Session Schedule 2023/24
New fencers may join at the beginning of each session.
- SESSION 1: ALL CLASSES ARE FULL! Please contact email@example.com to be placed on a waitlist. (Wednesday, September 6 – Monday, October 23, 2023)
- SESSION 2: Wednesday, October 25 – Monday, December 18, 2023 (no classes during Thanksgiving break: Monday, November 20 – Saturday, November 25, 2023)
- SESSION 3: Wednesday, January 3 – Monday, February 27, 2024 (no classes during February break: Monday, February 19 - Saturday, February 24, 2024)
- SESSION 4: Wednesday, February 28 – Monday, April 22, 2024 (no classes during April break: Monday, April 15 - Saturday, April 20, 2024)
- SESSION 5: Wednesday, April 24 – Monday, June 10, 2024
In order to register, please provide:
- Completed registration form: Please use the Registration Button below.
- Proof of USA Fencing membership: Our insurance requires that all students become members of USA Fencing. An Access Membership costs $29/year and is valid until 7/31/2024.
- Payment: Please choose your payment option on the online Registration Form.
We ask all fencers and parents to read and acknowledge Zeta Fencing's Code of Conduct. By signing a registration form, you agree to its terms.
Class spaces are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis after a complete registration with full payment and proof of USA Fencing membership has been received.
There are no refunds after the first class meeting; however, partial credits may be issued toward future programs. If you have to request a refund before the first class meeting, a $50 processing fee will be automatically deducted from the total amount of your payment refund.